2016 National 5 SQA Chemistry MCQS With Answers
1. When solid sodium chloride dissolves in water, a solution containing sodium ions and
chloride ions is formed.
Which of the following equations correctly shows the state symbols for this process?
- A NaCl(s) + H2O(ℓ) Na+(ℓ) + Cl–(ℓ)
- B NaCl(s) + H2O(aq) Na+(aq) + Cl–(aq)
- C NaCl(aq) + H2O(ℓ) Na+(aq) + Cl–(aq)
- D NaCl(s) + H2O(ℓ) Na+(aq) + Cl–(aq)
2. The table shows the times taken for 0·5 g of magnesium to react completely with acid under
The time for 0·5 g of magnesium to react completely with 0·2 mol l−1
acid at 25 ºC will be
- A less than 10 s
- B between 10 s and 20 s
- C between 20 s and 60 s
- D more than 80 s.
3. When an atom X of an element in Group 1 reacts to become X+
- A the mass number of X decreases
- B the atomic number of X increases
- C the charge of the nucleus increases
- D the number of occupied energy levels decreases.
4. Which of the following does not contain covalent bonds?
- A Sulfur
- B Copper
- C Oxygen
- D Hydrogen
5. Which of the following structures is never found in compounds?
- A Ionic
- B Monatomic
- C Covalent network
- D Covalent molecular
6. Which line in the table shows the properties of an ionic substance?
7. What is the name of the compound with the formula Ag2O?
- A Silver(I) oxide
- B Silver(II) oxide
- C Silver(III) oxide
- D Silver(IV) oxide
8. An element was burned in air. The product was added to water, producing a solution with a
pH less than 7. The element could be
- A tin
- B zinc
- C sulfur
- D sodium.
9. When methane burns in a plentiful supply of air, the products are
- A carbon and water
- B carbon dioxide and water
- C carbon monoxide and water
- D carbon dioxide and hydrogen.
10. Which of the following compounds belongs to the same homologous series as the compound
with the molecular formula C3H8?
The systematic name for the structure shown is
- A 1,2-dimethylpent-1-ene
- B 2,3-dimethylpent-1-ene
- C 3,4-dimethylpent-4-ene
- D 3,4-dimethylpent-1-ene.
12. Two isomers of butene are
13. Which of the following structures represents an ester?
14.The lowest temperature at which a hydrocarbon ignites is called its flash point.
Using information in the table, identify the correct statement.
- A Octane will ignite at 0 ºC.
- B Hydrocarbons with the same molecular mass have the same flash point.
- C The flash point of a hydrocarbon increases as the boiling point increases.
- D In a homologous series the flash point decreases as the number of carbon atoms increases.
15. Which of the following metals can be obtained from its ore by heating with carbon
You may wish to use the data booklet to help you.
- A Magnesium
- B Aluminium
- C Calcium
- D Nickel
16. Polyesters are always made from monomers
- A which are the same
- B which are unsaturated
- C with one functional group per molecule
- D with two functional groups per molecule.
17. Some smoke detectors make use of radiation which is very easily stopped by tiny smoke
particles moving between the radioactive source and the detector.
The most suitable type of radioisotope for a smoke detector would be
- A an alpha-emitter with a long half-life
- B a gamma-emitter with a short half-life
- C an alpha-emitter with a short half-life
- D a gamma-emitter with a long half-life.
18. Which particle will be formed when an atom of 234
90Th emits a β-particle?
- A 234
- B 230
- C 234
- D 238
19. 14C has a half life of 5600 years. An analysis of charcoal from a wood fire shows that
its 14C content is 25 % of that in living wood.
How many years have passed since the wood for the fire was cut?
- A 1400
- B 4200
- C 11 200
- D 16 800
20. A solution of potassium carbonate, made up using tap water, was found to be cloudy.
This could result from the tap water containing
- A lithium ions
- B calcium ions
- C sodium ions
- D ammonium ions.