SECTION 1 — 30 marks
2016 Advanced Higher Chemistry MCQS With Answers
1. Which of the following lists electromagnetic radiation bands in order of increasing
- A X-ray, infrared, ultraviolet, radio
- B Infrared, ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma
- C Ultraviolet, visible, infrared, radio
- D Radio, infrared, visible, gamma
2. Which of the following states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy?
- A Hund’s rule
- B The aufbau principle
- C The Pauli exclusion principle
- D The valence shell electron pair repulsion theory
In the periodic table outlined above, one area is marked X. Moving across area X, from one
element to the next, the extra electron usually occupies an orbital of type
- A s
- B p
- C d
- D f.
4. Which of the following molecules contains three atoms in a straight line?
- A BF3
- B CH4
- C H2O
- D SF6
5. The complex ion [Cu(CN)6]4− is called
- A hexacyanocopper(II)
- B hexacyanocopper(IV)
- C hexacyanocuprate(II)
- D hexacyanocuprate(IV).
6. HCN(aq) + H2O(ℓ) Ý H3O+(aq) + CN−(aq) In the above equation HCN(aq) is acting as
- A an acid
- B a conjugate acid
- C a base
- D a conjugate base.
7. The use of an indicator is not appropriate in titrations involving
- A hydrochloric acid solution and methylamine solution
- B nitric acid solution and potassium hydroxide solution
- C methanoic acid solution and ammonia solution
- D propanoic acid solution and sodium hydroxide solution.
8. Which of the following can produce a buffer solution when added to aqueous NH4Cl?
- A Ammonia
- B Ethanoic acid
- C Potassium chloride
- D Ammonium sulfate
9. Which of the following reactions cannot be described as an enthalpy of formation?
- A Si(s) + 4Cl(g) → SiCl4(ℓ)
- B Mg(s) + ½O2(g) → MgO(s)
- C C(s) + 2H2(g) + ½O2(g) → CH3OH(ℓ)
- D 2C(s) + 3H2(g) → C2H6(g)
10. Which of the following is likely to have the lowest standard entropy at 100 ºC?
- A Neon
- B Mercury
- C Sulfur
- D Phosphorus
11. For the reaction 2A + 2B ↓ C
the rate equation is rate = k[A][B]2
.Which of the following could be a possible mechanism for this reaction?
- A A + B ↓ X (fast)
X + A + B ↓ C (slow)
- B A + 2B ↓ X (slow)
X + A ↓ C (fast)
- C 2A + B ↓ X (slow)
X + B ↓ C (fast)
- D 2A + B ↓ X (fast)
X + B ↓ C (slow)
12. Which line in the table has the correct number and type of bonds in the structure shown?
Number of σ-bonds Number of π-bonds
- A 2 18
- B 4 16
- C 16 4
- D 18 2
13. 5-Methylhept-3-ene-2-one is an aroma molecule found in some types of tea.
Which of the following shows a structural formula for the trans-isomer of
14. Which of the following does not exhibit hydrogen bonding between its molecules?
- A Ethanol
- B Ethylamine
- C Ethanoic acid
- D Ethoxyethane
15. In the homologous series of amines, an increase in chain length is accompanied by
Volatility Solubility in water
- A increased increased
- B decreased decreased
- C increased decreased
- D decreased increased
16. Which of the following will react together to produce 2-ethoxypropane?
- A CH3CH2OH and CH3CH2COONa
- B CH3CH2ONa and CH3CH2CH2Br
- C CH3CH(OH)CH3 and CH3COONa
- D CH3CH2ONa and CH3CHBrCH3
17. Aldehydes can be converted into alcohols by the reaction shown
Which of the following aldehydes would produce a primary alcohol?
- A Methanal
- B Ethanal
- C Propanal
- D Butanal
18. CH3CHO + NH2NH2 ↓ CH3CH = NNH2 + H2O
This reaction is an example of
- A hydration
- B hydrolysis
- C dehydration
- D condensation.
19. When but-1-ene reacts with hydrogen chloride, 1-chlorobutane and 2-chlorobutane are
formed. According to Markovnikov’s rule
- A there will be more 2-chlorobutane than 1-chlorobutane
- B there will be more 1-chlorobutane than 2-chlorobutane
- C there will be equal proportions of both products
- D it is impossible to tell the relative proportion of each product.
20. When 2-bromobutane reacts with ethanolic potassium cyanide and the compound formed is
hydrolysed with dilute acid, the final product is
- A butanoic acid
- B pentanoic acid
- C 2-methylbutanoic acid
- D 2-methylpentanoic acid.
Which line in the table correctly identifies W, X, Y and Z in the reaction sequence?
reduction dehydration addition
22. Which of the following statements about benzene is not true?
- A It is planar.
- B It is susceptible to attack by electrophilic reagents.
- C Its carbon to carbon bonds are equal in length.
- D It is readily attacked by bromine.
23. (CH3)3CBr + OH− ↓ (CH3)3COH + Br−
The above reaction proceeds via an SN1 mechanism.
What effect will doubling the concentration of hydroxide ions have on the reaction rate?
- A It will have no effect.
- B The reaction rate will halve.
- C The reaction rate will double.
- D The reaction rate will increase by a factor of four.
Which of the following shows the splitting pattern for the circled H atom above, in a high
resolution proton NMR spectrum?
Noradrenaline and phenylephrine stimulate receptors in the body resulting in increased
blood pressure. Amphetamine has the same effect but works indirectly in the body by
stimulating production of noradrenaline.
The structural fragment acting directly on the receptor is
26. In a UK workplace, the maximum short-term exposure limit for carbon monoxide is 200 ppm
in a 15 minute period.
If a person breathes in 134 g of air in a 15 minute period, what is the mass of carbon
monoxide breathed in at the maximum short-term exposure limit?
- A 1·49 mg
- B 26·8 mg
- C 1·49 g
- D 26·8 g
27. Sodium hydroxide is unsuitable for use as a primary standard because it
- A is corrosive
- B is readily soluble in water
- C is available in a high degree of purity
- D readily absorbs water from the atmosphere.
28. What volume of 0·25 mol l−1 calcium nitrate is required to make, by dilution with water,
500 cm3 of a solution with a nitrate ion concentration of 0·1 mol l−1?
- A 50 cm3
- B 100 cm3
- C 200 cm3
- D 400 cm3
29. 1·60 g of an anhydrous metal sulfate were dissolved in water. Addition of excess barium
chloride solution resulted in the precipitation of 2·33 g of barium sulfate.
The original substance was
- A copper(II) sulfate
- B magnesium sulfate
- C sodium sulfate
- D calcium sulfate.
30. 0·020 moles of the salt Pt(NH3)xCl2 required 20·0 cm3 of 4·0 mol l−1
nitric acid to reactcompletely with the NH3 ligands.
The value of x is
- A 2
- B 4
- C 6
- D 8.