SECTION 1 — 20 marks
Attempt ALL questions
2017 SQA Higher Chemistry MCQS With Answers
1. Which of the following bonds is the least polar?
- A C — I
- B C — F
- C C — Cl
- D C — Br
2. Which of the following compounds would be the most water soluble?
3. Which of the following atoms has the greatest attraction for bonding electrons?
- A Sulfur
- B Silicon
- C Nitrogen
- D Hydrogen
4. Which type of structure is found in phosphorus?
- A Covalent network
- B Covalent molecular
- C Monatomic
- D Metallic lattice
5. The polarity of molecules can be investigated using a charged rod. The charged rod will
attract a stream of polar liquid flowing from a burette.
Which of the following liquids would not be attracted?
- A Water
- B Propanone
- C Propanol
- D Hexane
6. xP2H4 + yO2 ↓ P4O10 + zH2O
The equation is balanced when
- A x = 1, y = 5, z = 4
- B x = 4, y = 6, z = 2
- C x = 2, y = 7, z = 4
- D x = 2, y = 5, z = 2
7. What is the systematic name for the compound below?
- A 2,2,2-trimethylethanol
- B 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol
- C 2,2-dimethylpropan-3-ol
- D 2,2-dimethylpentan-1-ol
8. Which of the following fatty acids is the most unsaturated?
- A C15H29COOH
- B C15H31COOH
- C C17H31COOH
- D C17H35COOH
9. Which of the following is not a step in a free radical chain reaction?
- A Activation
- B Initiation
- C Propagation
- D Termination
10. Which of the following is an isomer of ethyl propanoate (CH3CH2COOCH2CH3)?
- A Methyl propanoate
- B Pentan-2-one
- C Pentanoic acid
- D Pentane-1,2-diol
11. Essential oils are
- A non-water soluble, non-volatile compounds
- B non-water soluble, volatile compounds
- C water soluble, non-volatile compounds
- D water soluble, volatile compounds.
12. The enthalpy of combustion of a hydrocarbon is the enthalpy change when
- A one mole of a hydrocarbon burns to give one mole of water
- B one mole of a hydrocarbon burns to give one mole of carbon dioxide
- C one mole of a hydrocarbon burns completely in oxygen
- D one mole of a hydrocarbon burns in one mole of oxygen.
13. Which of the following is the strongest reducing agent?
- A Fluorine
- B Lithium
- C Calcium
- D Iodine
15. The vitamin C content of a carton of orange juice was determined by four students. Each
student carried out the experiment three times.
The most reproducible results were obtained by
- A Student A
- B Student B
- C Student C
- D Student D.
16. Cyanohydrin compounds can be made from carbonyl compounds by reacting the carbonyl
compound with hydrogen cyanide (HCN).
Which carbonyl compound would react with hydrogen cyanide (HCN) to form the following
17. Chemical reactions are in a state of dynamic equilibrium only when
- A the reaction involves no enthalpy change
- B the concentrations of reactants and products are equal
- C the activation energies of the forward and backward reactions are equal
- D the rate of the forward reaction equals that of the backward reaction.
18. Bromine and hydrogen react together to form hydrogen bromide.
H2(g) + Br2(g) ↓ 2HBr(g)
The enthalpy change for this reaction, in kJ mol−1, is
- A −102
- B +102
- C −264
- D +264.
19. Which of the following is a structural formula for glycerol?
20. Which line in the table best describes the effect of adding a catalyst to the following
4NH3(g) + 5O2(g) Ý 4NO(g) + 6H2O(g) ΔH = −ve
Position of equilibrium Rate of forward reaction
- A unchanged unchanged
- B unchanged increased
- C moves to right unchanged
- D moves to right increased