SQA Advanced Higher Chemistry MCQS With Answers
SECTION 1 — 30 marks
1. In an emission spectrum of mercury, the line at 310 nm is due to
- A energy from the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum being absorbed
- B energy from the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum being released
- C energy from the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum being absorbed
- D energy from the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum being released.
2. In which of the following changes would heating to constant mass allow the mass of water
produced to be determined?
- A CH3CH2OH(ℓ) ↓ C2H4(g) + H2O(ℓ)
- B CH4(g) + 2O2(g) ↓ CO2(g) + 2H2O(ℓ)
- C KOH(aq) + HCl(aq) ↓ KCl(aq) + H2O(ℓ)
- D Na2CO3.10H2O(s) ↓ Na2CO3(s) + 10H2O(ℓ)
3. Which of the following reagents would be most suitable for the gravimetric determination of
magnesium ions in water?
- A Sodium nitrate
- B Silver(I) nitrate
- C Sodium carbonate
- D Silver(I) carbonate
4. Hund’s rule states that
- A electrons occupy degenerate orbitals singly with parallel spins before pairing
- B no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of four quantum numbers
- C electrons occupy orbitals in order of increasing energy
- D the energy of an electron in an atom is quantised.
5. Which of the following molecules contains the smallest bond angle?
- A BeCl2
- B BCl3
- C CCl4
- D PCl5
6. Iron forms both Fe2+
Which of the following statements is correct?
- A Fe2+ions have more occupied energy levels than Fe3+ ions
- B Fe2+ions have more unpaired electrons than Fe3+ ions
- C Fe3+ions are a better reducing agent than Fe2+ions
- D Fe3+ions are more stable than Fe2+ions
7. Which metal in the following ions has the highest oxidation state?
- A Cr2O72−
- B MnO4−
- C VO2+
- D Sn4+
- 8. The copper complex shown can be used as a green food colouring.
Which line in the table is correct for this complex?
number of copper Classification ofligand
A 2 monodentate
- B 2 tetradentate
- C 4 monodentate
- D 4 tetradentate
9. 2X(g) ∏ Y(g) ∆H = −220 kJ mol−1
Which of the following changes will cause the equilibrium constant to increase?
- A Decrease in temperature
- B Increase in temperature
- C Decrease in pressure
- D Increase in pressure
10. The following graph shows the variation in ∆G with temperature (T ) for a reaction.
Which of the following statements is true?
- A The reaction is never feasible
- B The reaction is always feasible
- C The reaction is feasible above 300 K
- D The reaction is feasible below 300 K
11. Iron(III) oxide can be reduced to iron using hydrogen.
Fe2O3(s) + 3H2(g) ↓ 2Fe(s) + 3H2O(g)
The enthalpy change, ∆H°, in kJ mol−1, for the reduction of iron(III) oxide using hydrogen is
- A −580
- B −96
- C +96
- D +580.
12. Which line in the table is correct for water condensing?
- A positive negative
- B negative negative
- C positive positive
- D negative positive
13. The results in the table were obtained for the reaction
X + 2Y ↓ Z
From these results, the rate equation is
- A rate = k[X]
- B rate = k[Y]
- C rate = k[X][Y]
- D rate = k[X][Y]2.
14. The rate of a chemical reaction is second order overall.
The units for the rate constant, k, are
- A mol l−1 s−1
- B l mol−1 s−1
- C l2 mol−2 s−1
- D l−2 mol2 s−1.
15. The structure of 2-furonitrile is shown.
The number of pi bonds in 2-furonitrile is
- A 2
- B 3
- C 4
- D 7.
16. The structure of one form of vitamin B3 is shown.
The molecular formula of this structure is
- A C6H5O2N
- B C6H6O2N
- C C7H5O2N
- D C7H6O2N.
17. Which of the following compounds exhibits geometric isomerism?
18.The systematic name of the molecule shown above is
- A cis-2,3-diethylbut-2-ene
- B trans-2,3-diethylbut-2-ene
- C cis-3,4-dimethylhex-3-ene
- D trans-3,4-dimethylhex-3-ene.
19. The structures shown below are isomeric amines.
Which line in the table is correct for trimethylamine when compared to ethylmethylamine?
Boiling point Solubility in water
- A higher higher
- B higher lower
- C lower higher
- D lower lower
20. The reaction of butanone with lithium aluminium hydride produces
- A butanoic acid
- B butan-2-ol
- C butan-1-ol
- D butanal.
21.Which line in the table is correct for the types of reaction taking place at steps 1, 2 and 3?
22. Carboxylic acids can be prepared in different ways.
Which of the following is a suitable method for preparing a carboxylic acid in one reaction?
- A Addition to an alkene
- B Hydrolysis of a nitrile
- C Reduction of an aldehyde
- D Substitution of a haloalkane
23. A student attempted to predict the mass spectrum of propanone.
The predicted spectrum is shown below. intensity
The actual mass spectrum of propanone contains only three main peaks.
Which of the above peaks would not appear in the actual mass spectrum?
24. Analysis of a compound shows the following percentage composition by mass.
C = 80·0% H = 9·3% O = 10·7%
The empirical formula for this compound is
- A C10H14O
- B C14H10O
- C C14H20O
- D C20H14O.
Which of the following splitting patterns would be observed for the circled atom in the high
H NMR spectrum of ethanol?
- A Doublet
- B Triplet
- C Quartet
- D Quintet
26. Pramipexole is a drug used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Pramipexole acts
like a natural compound in the body, dopamine, to stimulate nerve cells.
Buprenorphine is a drug used to treat heroin addiction. Buprenorphine stimulates receptors
in the body but produces less of a response compared to heroin.
Which line in the table best describes pramipexole and buprenorphine?
- A agonist agonist
- B agonist antagonist
- C antagonist agonist
- D antagonist antagonist
27. The human nose can generally detect the toxic gas hydrogen sulfide at levels of 0·03 ppm.
If a person inhales 6 litres of air per minute, containing 0·03 ppm of hydrogen sulphide,
what mass of hydrogen sulfide is inhaled in 10 minutes?
- A 2 g
- B 1·8 g
- C 200 mg
- D 1·8 mg
28. Which of the following techniques could be used to purify an impure sample of solid caffeine?
- A Thin layer chromatography
- B Heating under reflux
- C Recrystallisation
- D Distillation
29. When substance X is distributed between equal volumes of two immiscible solvents, water
and dichloromethane, an equilibrium will be established.
X(H2O) ∏ X(CH2Cl2) K = 4
In the diagrams below, the number of dots represents the relative distribution of X in the
two solvents. Water is less dense than dichloromethane.
Which of the following shows the correct distribution of X between the two solvents at
30. A complexometric titration can be used to determine the concentration of
- A calcium ions in milk
- B chloride ions in sea water
- C ethanoic acid in vinegar
- D ethanol in wine.