Higher Chemistry Section 1 2017 Mcqs with answers
1. Which of the following bonds is the least polar?
- A C — I
- B C — F
- C C — Cl
- D C — Br
Ans : A
2. Which of the following compounds would be the most water soluble?
3. Which of the following atoms has the greatest attraction for bonding electrons?
- A Sulfur
- B Silicon
- C Nitrogen
- D Hydrogen
4. Which type of structure is found in phosphorus?
- A Covalent network
- B Covalent molecular
- C Monatomic
- D Metallic lattice
5. The polarity of molecules can be investigated using a charged rod. The charged rod will
attract a stream of polar liquid flowing from a burette.
Which of the following liquids would not be attracted?
- A Water
- B Propanone
- C Propanol
- D Hexane
6. xP2H4 + yO2 ↓ P4O10 + zH2O
The equation is balanced when
- A x = 1, y = 5, z = 4
- B x = 4, y = 6, z = 2
- C x = 2, y = 7, z = 4
- D x = 2, y = 5, z = 2
7. What is the systematic name for the compound below?
- A 2,2,2-trimethylethanol
- B 2,2-dimethylpropan-1-ol
- C 2,2-dimethylpropan-3-ol
- D 2,2-dimethylpentan-1-ol
8. Which of the following fatty acids is the most unsaturated?
- A C15H29COOH
- B C15H31COOH
- C C17H31COOH
- D C17H35COOH
9. Which of the following is not a step in a free radical chain reaction?
- A Activation
- B Initiation
- C Propagation
- D Termination
10. Which of the following is an isomer of ethyl propanoate (CH3CH2COOCH2CH3)?
- A Methyl propanoate
- B Pentan-2-one
- C Pentanoic acid
- D Pentane-1,2-diol
11. Essential oils are
- A non-water soluble, non-volatile compounds
- B non-water soluble, volatile compounds
- C water soluble, non-volatile compounds
- D water soluble, volatile compounds.
12. The enthalpy of combustion of a hydrocarbon is the enthalpy change when
- A one mole of a hydrocarbon burns to give one mole of water
- B one mole of a hydrocarbon burns to give one mole of carbon dioxide
- C one mole of a hydrocarbon burns completely in oxygen
- D one mole of a hydrocarbon burns in one mole of oxygen.
13. Which of the following is the strongest reducing agent?
- A Fluorine
- B Lithium
- C Calcium
- D Iodine
17. Chemical reactions are in a state of dynamic equilibrium only when
- A the reaction involves no enthalpy change
- B the concentrations of reactants and products are equal
- C the activation energies of the forward and backward reactions are equal
- D the rate of the forward reaction equals that of the backward reaction.