Higher Chemistry Section 1 2018 ( Solved) Mcqs with answers
1. The potential energy diagram below refers to the reversible reaction involving reactants R
and products P.
What is the enthalpy change, in kJ mol−1,for the reverse reaction?
- A −40
- B −10
- C +10
- D +30
2. The relative rate of a reaction which reached completion in 1 minute 40 seconds is
- A 0·010 s−1
- B 0·714 s−1
- C 0·010 min−1
- D 0·714 min−1.
3.Which of the following is the correct interpretation of the above energy distribution
diagram for a reaction as the temperature decreases from T2 to T1?
4. The table shows the first three ionisation energies of aluminium.
5. An element contains covalent bonding and London dispersion forces.
The element could be
- A boron
- B neon
- C sodium
- D sulfur.
6. Erythrose is a chemical that is known to kill cancer cells.
The two functional groups present in erythrose are
- A carboxyl and ester
- B carbonyl and ester
- C carbonyl and hydroxyl
- D carboxyl and hydroxyl.
8. Which of the following is an isomer of pentan-3-ol?
- A CH3CH2CH(OH)CH2CH3
- B CH3CHCHCH2CH2OH
- C CH3CHCHCH(OH)CH3
- D CH3CH(CH3)CH2CH2OH
9. Oxidation of 4-methylpentan-2-ol to the corresponding ketone results in the alcohol
- A losing 2 g per mole
- B gaining 2 g per mole
- C losing 16 g per mole
- D gaining 16 g per mole.
10. Essential amino acids are defined as the amino acids which
- A are necessary for building proteins
- B humans must acquire through their diet
- C plants cannot synthesise for themselves
- D are produced when any protein is hydrolysed.
11. A mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen can be converted into water and a mixture of
12. A mixture of sodium chloride and sodium sulfate is known to contain 0∙6 mol of chloride
ions and 0∙2 mol of sulfate ions.
How many moles of sodium ions are present?
- A 0∙4
- B 0∙5
- C 0∙8
- D 1∙0
13. Under the same conditions of temperature and pressure, which of the following gases would
occupy the largest volume?
- A 0·20 g of hydrogen
- B 0·44 g of carbon dioxide
- C 0·60 g of neon
- D 0·80 g of argon
The addition of which of the following substances would move the above equilibrium to the
- A Hydrogen
- B Hydrogen chloride
- C Sodium chloride
- D Sodium hydroxide
16. When 3·6 g of butanal (mass of one mole = 72 g) was burned, 124 kJ of energy was released.
What is the enthalpy of combustion of butanal, in kJ mol−1 ?
- A −6·2
- B +6·2
- C −2480
- D +2480
If you have any questions about Higher Chemistry Paper 1 please email us at email@example.com.